Severin Films today announced 6/7 release of their Blu-ray ‘Ultimate Edition’ of the three-time Oscar® nominated sensation The Stunt Man. The film, starring Peter O’Toole, Steve Railsback and Barbara Hershey, features an all-new HD transfer supervised by Academy Award® nominated producer/director/co-writer Richard Rush and more than 6 hours of Extras that include an all-star audio commentary with Rush, O’Toole, Railsback, Hershey, Alex Rocco, Sharon Farrell and legendary stunt coordinator Chuck Bail, new featurette interviews with O’Toole, Railsback and Hershey, Rush’s own revealing 2000 feature-length documentary The Sinister Saga Of The Making Of ‘The Stunt Man’, a new Rush career retrospective and more.
O’Toole stars in his still-iconic Oscar® nominated performance as director Eli Cross, a megalomaniacal madman commanding a film-set circus where a paranoid young veteran (Railsback) finds himself maybe replacing a dead stunt man, possibly falling for the beautiful leading lady (Hershey), and discovering that love, death and the mayhem of moviemaking can definitely be the wildest illusions of all.
One of the most acclaimed directors of the ‘70s with films like Getting Straight and Freebie & The Bean, Richard Rush fought 9 years to get The Stunt Man made then spent another two years battling 20th Century Fox to get it released. When the film finally reached screens, it was immediately hailed as one of the best of the year by such critics as Pauline Kael of The New Yorker, David Ansen of Newsweek and Richard Schickel of Time. The film went on to be nominated for six Golden Globe Awards, and Best Actor, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay Academy Awards®.
“The Stunt Man defied all odds to become the most unexpected and acclaimed cult hit of the ‘80s, and remains one of the most slyly subversive and thrillingly original action/comedy/drama motion pictures of all time,” says Carl Daft, CEO and co-founder of Severin Films. “We’re proud to bring this Ultimate Edition of one of our favorite Hollywood movies to its millions of loyal fans, as well as introduce it to a whole new audience for the first time.”
Blu-ray and 2-Disc DVD bonus material include:
- Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Richard Rush, and Stars Peter O’Toole, Steve Railsback, Barbara Hershey, Alex Rocco, Sharon Farrell, and Chuck Bail
- The Maverick Career Of Richard Rush – Exclusive New Featurette
- Peter O’Toole Recounts The Stunt Man – Exclusive New Featurette
- Devil’s Squadron – Exclusive New Featurette With Steve Railsback & Alex Rocco
- Barbara Hershey On Nina Franklin – Exclusive New Featurette
- The Sinister Saga Of The Making Of The Stunt Man – Feature Length Documentary By Richard Rush
- The Stunt Man At The New Beverly (Blu-ray exclusive)
- Theatrical Trailers
- Deleted Scenes